If you answered 'yes' to both questions, you are something other than a backpacker.
- Would you rather spend a few hundred dollars on flights rather than emerge half-dead from 18-hour bus trips?
- Backpackers don’t carry iPods, PDAs, laptops or expensive digital equipment.
- Backpackers like to travel with no fixed schedules on long trips, and be independent while travelling.
- Backpacking evolved out of the hippie movement in the West.
- People in many traditional non-Western countries often regarded backpackers to be more interested in chilling-out, using recreational drugs and exhibiting looser sexual morals than actually learning about the places and cultures they were in.
Many people criticize that hardcore flashpackers just play with their electronic gadgets (iPhones, iPads and iPods etc.) in different parts of the world, and have no time, energy, or inclination to actually make contact with anyone outside their digital communities.
“Critics are envious as they can’t afford what we can”, say the flashpackers and move on.