Cows behave as magnetic compass needles as they align their bodies in a north-south direction.
- In the Eddas, the myth of Iceland written between the 8th and 13th centuries, Audhumla ("Without Impurity") created humankind by licking the salt and hoar frost on ice blocks in three days.
- In Hinduism, the cow is considered the mother of gods. Kamadhenu, the sacred cow in ancient India, is the cow, which grants all wishes and desires.
- In ancient Egypt, there were many cow deities like Hathor, the Milky way, Nut, the sky goddess, Mehueret, the Flood and Bata, the goddess of fertility.
- The Maasai people in east Africa claim that all cattle in the world belong to them. With an average of 14-19 head of cattle per person, the Maasai are one of the wealthiest cattle-owning peoples in Africa. "I hope your cattle are well", the Maasai greet each other.
Animals Considered as Machines by Science, Paradoxically
Even Charles Darwin, the father of evolution theory considered animal intelligence to be a worthy field of study. He found that even earthworms are cognitive beings, as they need to make judgments about the kinds of leafy matter they use to block their tunnels.
In the early 20th century, behaviourism regarded animals as machines and considered all field observations of animal cognition as anecdotes tinged with anthropomorphism. Since then, animals are not considered by scientists to have cognitive functions, which most pet owners totally disagree with.
Please continue using your compass or GPS. The study does, however, open new horizons for studying how magnetoreception affects animals in fields like applied ethology, which is animal husbandry, and animal welfare. The researchers also claim that birds and mole rats have magnetic particles of magnetite in their cornea.
As the saying goes "All is not butter that comes from the cow" - Proverb.
Well, not everyone is cow-friendly. Some famous people have been very anti-cow.
- "A mind of the caliber of mine cannot derive its nutriment from cows." George Bernard Shaw
- "Sacred cows make the best hamburgers." Mark Twain
- "Who was the first guy that look at a cow and said, "I think that I'll drink whatever comes out of those things when I squeeze them?" Bill Watterson
- "The cow is nothing but a machine which makes grass fit for us people to eat." John McNulty