Photo source: NHS campaign
In the first place, many people do not like to be told how to think with their brains either.
Modern Mechanism of Smoking Bans
- China is the king of the tobacco league – 30% of the planet’s 5,5 trillion cigarettes are produced and consumed in China.
- The USA comes second with 12% production, though tobacco is produced in about 100 countries globally.
- The largest tobacco company in the world, China National Tobacco Co. belongs to The State Tobacco Monopoly Administration or STMA, which is the organisation responsible for enforcing the tobacco monopoly in China. They don’t have even a website.
- The first recorded ban on smoking is from 1575 in Mexico, when the Catholic Church bans tobacco usage in any form throughout the Spanish colonies.
- The first country to ban smoking totally is Bhutan.
- The first global ban is by Pope Urban VIII (1623-44). He threatened with excommunication anyone using tobacco (smoking or snuffing) in any holy place.
- The first ban on using and cultivating tobacco is from China 1612.
- The first death penalty for smoking is from 1617 in Mongolia.
- In Russia from 1634, for the first offence one got whipping, a slit nose and exile to Siberia and death sentence for the second offence.
- The first use of the term “passive smoking” is by the Nazis.
- The first building in the world to have a smoke-free policy was the wooden Old Government Building in Wellington, New Zealand in 1876 due to the threat of fire
- The first country in the world to have a comprehensive nation-wide smoke-free workplace is Ireland with its law of 29th March 2004.
Which Countries Allow Public Smoking?
Where in the world is smoking in public allowed? Hardly anywhere, legally that is. These countries officially allowing smoking in public places are becoming rare.
- Madagascar - Except in taxis and Antananarivo International airport and Air Madagascar Flights
- Malawi - no legislation
- Namibia - smoke free law planned
- Romania - Bars and restaurants have to carry signs if they are smoking or non-smoking
- Russia - No country-wide smoke-free law
- I kissed my first girl and smoked my first cigarette on the same day. I haven't had time for tobacco since. Arturo Toscanini
- To cease smoking is the easiest thing I ever did. I ought to know because I've done it a thousand times. Mark Twain, attributed
- I thought I couldn't afford to take her out and smoke as well. So I gave up cigarettes. Then I took her out and one day I looked at her and thought: "Oh well," and I went back to smoking again, and that was better. Benny Hill
- Proctor, Robert (1999), The War on Cancer, Princeton University Press.